Head of People
Graphite is a boutique digital marketing firm that builds scalable growth engines for consumer technology companies such as Ticketmaster, MasterClass, and Honey. We specialize in search engine optimization (SEO), content strategy, mobile app growth, and conversion optimization.
We are a fully distributed team that is dedicated to creating an environment where you do the best work of your career. With headquarters in San Francisco and team members across the United States, Latin America, and Asia, we are ready to welcome our next team member!
We believe that Graphite’s strength is in its people. We’re looking for a Head of People who will act as a strategic business partner and be responsible for all facets of talent and people management functions. You will be the primary person responsible for bringing our culture and values to life with people-related processes, programs and policies. This role requires you to be the driving force behind building our team and unlocking their potential to make a high-performing, mission-driven, inclusive and harmonious, and impactful team as Graphite enters a period of explosive growth. This role will have a bias towards building programs and processes to help our team develop in their careers and building company culture in a remote environment. However, this person also needs to have a healthy understanding of “nuts and bolts” HR processes like compliance, compensation, recruiting, performance management, and others.
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement career development programs that reinforce Graphite’s values and culture
- Work closely with Leadership and team members to improve work relationships, build morale, measure performance, and increase productivity and retention
- Grow the team's performance and capabilities through organizational development, career development, management training, coaching, engagement, and more
- Design and implement on-going improvements to talent management strategies and programs including recruitment, training and development, engagement, retention, and succession
- Utilize data to solve complex organizational challenges through people-centric solutions
- Own the long-term strategic roadmap for people systems to support needs across the team life cycle
- Lead recruiting, onboarding, and training; build our recruiting brand and interview process, and create an exceptional candidate experience
- Stay up to date with HR-related legal guidelines, ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws, and ensure appropriate controls and documentation are followed to meet security and compliance requirements across all systems
- Periodically assess HR policies, procedures, and programs; recommend, communicate, and oversee the implementation of new rules, internal process, and creative ideas
What you’ll need:
- Ambition, focus, resourcefulness, hunger for growth, and a results-driven attitude
- Proven accomplishments that demonstrate Graphite’s core values of Premium, Impact, and Intensity
- Experience in successfully building culture at rapidly growing organizations and a proven track record of establishing relationships and acting as a trusted advisor to Leadership
- A history of building effective initiatives for learning and development for teams of 75+ people
- Successful experience in managing and scaling the human resource function and organizational development programs for a diverse workforce, working in a fast-growing, innovative, and technological environment
- Experience overseeing, implementing, and managing an HRIS/HCM system, capturing metrics, and producing various employment reports and analysis
- Outstanding interpersonal and influencing skills
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience, including management experience
- A desire to get your hands dirty - you’ll be joining a startup organization that is growing quickly; it’s all hands on deck for everyone at Graphite, starting with Leadership
- Bonus: you have experience in a tech startup and/or have managed international distributed teams
How we’ll help:
Graphite’s mission is to create an environment where you build the best work of your career. In order to facilitate this, we provide:
Process As Needed - We view process as a way to empower better work, not as a series of dogmatic rules. We develop the best internal processes as we do products - through iteration, measurement, and continuous improvement.
Autonomy - We trust you to be excellent at what you do. We will provide as much support as needed when needed, but no more. You will have autonomy and agency to drive projects forward, and own decisions and outcomes.
Flexible Work Environment - Everyone’s optimal work style is unique. We operate as a distributed team across North & Latin America and Asia. We optimize for productivity and performance, not time spent in an office. Help us build an optimal work environment that fits you as an individual.
Compensation - We want to work with the best people in the World and compensate accordingly.
Vacation & Time Off - In order to be the best version of yourself, you need time to recharge. We offer flexible PTO. Take time when you need it.
Benefits - We will ensure you have quality health care coverage and opportunities to further your education.
Graphite provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other protected classification.